from HTYP, the free directory anyone can edit if they can prove to me that they're not a spambot
This article is for information about parenting, the delicate art of raising children.
- 2014-03-19 Don't Help Your Kids With Their Homework
- 2008-05 Lies We Tell Kids by Paul Graham
- 2008-04-16 Kids, Parents Disagree on Spouses: "Do young people and their parents really disagree about the qualities of a suitable mate? ... A study involving Dutch, American and Kurdish students ... found that the cliche is, in fact, true. Young Americans told the researchers that qualities they would find unappealing in a potential mate included low intelligence and physical unattractiveness. But they said their parents would object to a mate who was of a different ethnicity, was poor or lacked a good family background."
- 2007-11-19 Are the family clichés true? "The middle one's always difficult, the eldest is a bossy boots and the youngest is a tearaway. But are the family clichés true? Finally, scientists have the answer."
- 2006-02-19 Online time may foster youngster's social involvement (related)
- 2006-02-07 Depression may be lifelong parent trap, FSU study says: parents are more depressed than non-parents
- 2006-01-31 research on millennial generation (kids born 1992-2006)
- 2005-12-21 Sociological study finds parenthood does not make people happier
- 2005-12-20 Mom and dad are key to how we handle stress
- 2005-12-19 Neuroscientist takes issue with antidepressants for children
- 2005-12-13 Mental health of children most harmed before divorce
- 2005-11-13 Spanking Leads To Child Aggression And Anxiety, Regardless Of Cultural Norm
- 2005-11-16 ...Connection Between Early-life Stress And Teenage Mental Health Problems
- Alice Miller (1923-), psychologist with theories about child abuse
- 2007-06-17 Dads: Could these letters be about you? by Leonard Pitts Jr.
- 2007-05-09 video Here's some Total Momsense: words of Momly wisdom by Anita Renfroe, sung to the tune of the William Tell Overture
- 2007 jan/feb Rethinking Homework by Alfie Kohn
- 2007-01-07 What Do We Do For Our Kids? by Orson Scott Card: gets a bit moralistic on the subject of divorce, but makes some good points about parenting fads
- 2006-11-12 Building Better Children by Orson Scott Card
- 2006-09-17 Homework, Part I and Part II by Orson Scott Card
- 2003-02 Why Nerds are Unpopular by Paul Graham: long and very on-target essay about some of the problems with school from a non-conformist perspective
- Robert A. Heinlein's take on parenting, as analyzed by Rafeeq O. McGiveron, University of Texas at Brownsville (note: page possibly subject to removal after June, 2007)
- How Not to Talk to Your Kids: The Inverse Power of Praise. by Po Bronson
- CafeMom: "a place for moms" (looks like blogging/social site)
- Mother Talkers: "Rants and Raves on Modern Motherhood" (collaborative site)
- The Natural Child Project: essays by parenting professionals (mostly?)
- Kiddie Records Weekly "Classics from the Golden Age": freely downloadable MP3s of children's records from the mid-1940s to early 1950s
- Different types of problem behavior, and techniques which have been tried (whether or not they have worked)
- Early identification of mental/processing issues such as ADHD, Asperger's, autism (especially "high-functioning" varieties), dyslexia, gender dysphoria, Tourette's
- "[E]verybody who has ever had to do with children knows that a suitable diet does more to make them virtuous than the most eloquent preaching in the world." – Bertrand Russell